A Typical Workday in Tijuana
- 7:50 am: Plane arrived on time at San Diego's Lindbergh Field after a short flight. Stopped for a coffee at Starbucks, then meet with R&D team near UC San Diego about new design concepts. Good group of engineers – graduates from UCSD and San Diego State (go Aztecs!).
- 10:20 am: Parked in Downtown San Diego to discuss IP issues with our lawyer. Says that intellectual property enforcement of our products aren't a problem in Mexico – our patents are enforceable under NAFTA and TRIPS (good to know!).
- 11:15 am: Drove to Tijuana with engineering team (Company car with SENTRI border pass – smart idea).
- 11:35 am: Crossed border into TJ.
- 11:50 am: Arrived at manufacturing operation. Glad we chose this location – out of 60+ industrial parks, this was a great option. Met Plant Manager and technical team while touring factory – they've already got the ISO certification, and a lean manufacturing system in place from the assembly team on up. We're saving a bundle with productivity gains and lower labor costs! touring factory – they've already got the ISO certification, and a lean manufacturing system in place from the assembly team on up. We're saving a bundle with productivity gains and lower labor costs!
- 1:15 pm: Visited the Distribution center. Highly experienced bilingual supply chain team with multi-national company backgrounds. Showed me a truck leaving with our products going to Asia (across the border and at LAX in only 5-6 hours), another heading to Dallas (will arrive in only 2-3 days), and another going to Chicago (will be there in 4 days – weeks faster than our former factory in Asia!).
- 2:00 pm: Had lunch with Tijuana team at great restaurant near Downtown Tijuana (been to several already – they seem to just get better). Stopped at on one of the many Starbucks in TJ, then headed back to the border crossing to go to San Diego.
- 4:20 pm: Crossed the border quickly in the SENTRI lane (this border crossing program saves our executives lots of time).
- 5:00 pm: Back to Downtown San Diego with time to spare – think I'll take an earlier flight home, and arrive in time to kiss the kids good-night and have a late dinner with my wife. Long day, but very productive – can't do that very many places in the world!