Why are so many factories moving to Baja California? It is no secret that over 100 foreign companies are waiting to invest in this fertile region due to its many benefits. Among them, nearshoring represents a great strategy for American and Canadian companies, especially due to the United States–Mexico–Canada and other agreements.
Here we summarize some benefits companies can get by setting up their manufacturing plants in Baja California.
- Proximity to the United States: One of the most important reasons why more and more foreign companies have decided to establish themselves in Baja California is its proximity to the border. It is closer than China and is in the same time zone as the United States.
- Easy access: US firms can transport raw materials and equipment across the border to their maquiladoras in Mexico easily and quickly by road, plane, and sometimes on the same day.
- Local Talent: The state hosts around 35 universities and technical schools, teaching an average of 14,000 students yearly. In fact, the education system graduates thousands of engineers each year, so Baja California’s manufacturing environment is well-supplied with a skilled workforce.
- Strategic location. Baja California is an excellent crossing point for import and export, connected to seaports, airports, and highways, which means lower transportation costs.
- Experience. Hundreds of companies cannot be wrong. Currently, more than 900 manufacturers have settled in Baja California. Plus, the manufacturing industry has 60 years of experience operating in the region.
- Multiple business opportunities. No matter what kind of company you own, Tijuana is ideal for starting a business in Mexico since many sectors have successfully grown, such as Aerospace, Medical Devices, Electronics, and Automotive companies.
Finding the ideal location for your cluster is the goal. But how could you do that if you are unfamiliar with the area? That is when Tijuana EDC can help you.
We have more than 33 years of experience providing free-of-charge consulting assistance for foreign investment in Mexico. We know every business has specific needs, and we are qualified to make a personalized plan to settle correctly.
Why are so many factories moving to Baja California? Call us today to talk about Baja California and Tijuana, and advise you on what is best for your company.